Motor Insurance FAQs

Your Insurance Documentation

• I am due to receive my insurance documents via my self-service portal but I haven’t received an email?

We will send your confirmation email within 24hrs of purchase. You can also sign up for your portal by clicking the My account link to the left, click the Register button and fill in the details. You should then get instant access to your documents. Please contact us on 02394 003200 if you need assistance.

• I have forgotten the email address I provided you with?

Please contact our Customer Service Team on 02394 003200 who will be happy to assist.

• I wish to receive my documents in the post. Is this possible?

Please contact our Customer Service Team on 02394 003200 who will be happy to assist. Please note an additional charge may apply.

Types of car insurance

• What type of cover can I buy?

You can choose to cover your car comprehensive, third party fire & theft or third party only.


In addition to Third Party Fire & Theft cover this extends to include:

  • Accidental damage to the vehicle.
  • Windscreen/Glass damage.
  • Personal accident benefits + Medical Expenses

Third party fire & theft

In addition to the cover under third party only this includes:

  • Damage to the vehicle by fire
  • Theft of the vehicle
  • Attempted theft damage

Third party only

This is the minimum cover we can offer under our policy. It covers:

  • Death or injury to another person caused by your vehicle
  • Emergency treatment and/or hospital fees for third parties
  • Third party property damage


Am I insured to drive someone else's car?

We may give the policyholder THIRD PARTY cover when driving any other car, which is not owned or leased by them. Note that there is no cover for loss of or damage to that car.

Please note: if you are eligible for this cover we will automatically include this within your policy, and it
will be stated on your insurance certificate. This cover is not available as an optional extra.

• Can I use my car for business use?

The following classes of use are available:

Social Only

Covers normal day to day driving.

Social Including Commuting

Covers day to day and commuting to a permanent place of work.

Business use for proposer/spouse

Covers driving to specific locations for work purposes away from the permanent place of work.

Business use of proposer and additional driver

Covers driving to specific locations for work purposes away from the permanent place of work. Named  drivers are only covered on the personal business of the proposer, spouse and business use of the proposer’s employer or business partner.

Commercial Travelling

Covers constant work driving such as door-to-door sales etc.


• I am at the scene of an accident - what do I do?

  1. Note the registration number of the other vehicle(s) involved.
  2. Obtain the names and address of the other witnesses. Also obtain the name, address and policy number of the other party's insurer.
  3. Make a sketch plan of the scene of the accident and make a note of the road name, and the address of any property that has been damaged.
  4. Do not admit responsibility or sign any statement to this effect. It is appreciated that due to the circumstances of the incident this may cause offence to the other party involved. Your best response is to state that your insurance policy prohibits you from admitting liability without your insurer’s written agreement.
  5. If the accident results in damage to another vehicle, an animal or other property, to comply with the law you must stop and give your name, address, and registration particulars of the vehicle (along with owner's name and address, if different).
  6. If anyone other than yourself is injured you must show your Insurance Certificate to the police or to any other person reasonably asking. If you cannot do this at this time of the accident, report to the police as soon as possible and, in any case, within 24 hours.
  7. If you have caused damage to another vehicle or property, you must also show your insurance certificate to any person reasonably requiring you to do so.

• My vehicle is disabled - what should I do?

If your cover is comprehensive the reasonable cost of removal of your vehicle will form part of your claim against your insurer, subject to the deduction of any excess applicable. If, however, you do not have comprehensive cover then you must make your own arrangements to have the vehicle removed at your own expense. If the accident was not your responsibility then you may be able to recover the cost from the other party involved

• As a result of the accident, my car has been damaged - can I go ahead and get it repaired?

If you have comprehensive cover and wish to claim under the policy, specific instructions will be given to you when you contact the Claims Line to notify them of the accident. You should not authorise repairs without the approval of your insurer.
If you are not insured for comprehensive risks, then your own damage is not covered under your policy and you are therefore free to arrange repairs, at your own expense, at a garage of your choice. If the accident was not your responsibility you may be able to recover the cost from the other party involved.

• I have received some correspondence relating to the accident - do I answer it myself?

It is a requirement of your policy to notify your insurer of every letter, claim, writ, summons and any other document that you receive. Please forward any correspondence received immediately to your insurer (do not answer or acknowledge it) You must also tell your insurer of any impending prosecution, coroner's inquest or fatal accident inquiry involving any person insured by the policy.

• Am I entitled to a hire car whilst mine is off the road?

Not under your policy. If the accident is the fault of someone else and you feel it is necessary to hire alternative transport then contact the Claims Line for advice. It may be possible to them to arrange this for you. Subject to availability, the garage that is repairing your vehicle may provide a courtesy car.

• My windscreen has been smashed - how can I arrange for a replacement?

Providing windscreen/glass is covered by your policy you should contact the 24hrs Claims Line on 02394 003198.

You will be advised to contact Auto Windscreens on 0345 075 1953. You will be required to pay a windscreen/glass excess for replacement and repair costs.

If you chose not to use Auto Windscreens then you must contact the Claims Line for advice. The receipted account for repair/replacement is to be sent to your insurer. Your insurer will then reimburse you, less the excess, up to a maximum value of £150.

• My car has been written-off. Why do I have to pay hundreds of pounds more for a replacement car than my insurance company is offering me at the moment?

The insurance company will offer you an amount that they consider to be the market value for an average car of that age and mileage. The insurer invariably makes cash settlements. This means as a customer, you do not have to trade in a vehicle and so are able to negotiate a much lower price for the purchase.

• Who will assist me to recover my uninsured losses?

Subject to the purchase of optional Motor Legal Protection cover, Inter PartnerAssistance will help you to recover your losses if you were not at fault for the accident. Contact the Claims Line on 02394 003198 for advice.

• What is an excess?

Excess is the amount you pay if you make a claim for loss or damage of your vehicle. If the accident is not your fault you may be able to claim a reimbursement from the person at fault. You have a choice of voluntary or compulsory excess (see below).

• What is compulsory excess?

The insurance company may only be prepared to grant cover if you agree to pay the first amount towards any claim.

• What is voluntary excess?

When you take out an insurance policy you may obtain a discount on the premium if you agree to pay towards the cost of any claim for loss or damage to your vehicle.
• My car has now been repaired and the garage has asked me to pay the policy excess - should I pay them?

Yes, but only if you are satisfied with the quality of the repair. You should always retain a receipt, as this will be required if a claim for uninsured losses is to be pursued

Car security

• What is a tracking device?

It allows police to track a stolen vehicle via an electronic signal emitted from a sensor concealed in the car. Some vehicles will only be covered with these devices.

• What is a Thatcham security device?

The Thatcham Motor Insurance Repair Research Centre evaluates the effectiveness of car security products against The British Insurance Industry's Criteria for Vehicle Security. Some vehicles will only be covered if fitted with a Thatcham One Security Device.

Payments and charges

• I would like to arrange payments by instalments. Is this possible?

Yes. We are able to accept instalments by direct debit from a current account. Instalment payments are subject to interest charges - details are available on request. Please note this would be subject to criteria. We are also able to accept full payment by credit/debit card or by cheque or postal orders.

• Is it safe to pay for my policy on the internet?

Yes. Our site uses 128-bit encryption that disguises and protects your personal and payment details and prevents them from being accessed by or disclosed to third parties. For more information on our site security, please click on the Verisign Image.
Immediate cover

• What can I do if I cannot get a quote but need immediate cover?

Call us now on 02394 003173 where one of our experience operators will be happy to help you. Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 6.00pm and Saturday 9.00am to 2.00pm.

• Is immediate cover available?

Yes. Providing you have been offered a quotation and are able to pay at least a deposit by credit or debit. We do not accept American Express cards. We will accept cheques or postal orders as methods of payment; however, these methods will not provide you with immediate cover.


• How do I pay for my policy at renewal?

If you paid for last year's policy in one lump sum we will send you an invitation to renew. We will need to receive your payment for this year's renewal before the renewal date to ensure continuous cover. Please call us on 02394 003196 to arrange for payment to be taken from your credit/debit card; alternatively you may send a cheque or postal order for the full amount made payable to Insurance Factory Limited. For renewals dated after 1st September 2017 you will be able to automatically renew using your self service portal. Please click the link above to access Your Account.

If you paid by monthly direct debit from your bank account last year we may automatically renew your policy this year on the same bank details and advise you of the new monthly instalments. Written confirmation will be sent outlining our intentions. If you wish to continue your policy you do not need to do anything; we will include a certificate within your documentation. However, if you decide not to renew please telephone or write to us and remember to cancel the direct debit instruction at the bank.

• Will my premium change at renewal?

We'll do our best to keep your renewal premium as low as possible. If you have four years or less No Claim Discount and have not made a claim during your time with us, you'll get a further year's No Claim Discount. This may reduce your premium, but rate increases during the year may mean your premium is still higher than last year.

• I've had a claim. How will this affect my renewal premium?

If we already know about the claim before you receive your renewal invitation, your No Claim Discount entitlement will have been amended and your renewal premium revised to take the claim into account.

If you make a claim and you've already received your renewal invitation, we will have to amend your No Claim Discount entitlement and revise your premium.
We will let you know what your new premium is as soon as we are notified about the claim.

• How do I make a change to my policy at renewal?

If you want to make a change to your policy you can email or call us on 02394 003196 before your renewal date with details of your change and an operator will be pleased to help you.

• Can I protect my No Claim Discount at renewal?

You may be able to protect your No Claim Discount as long as you have a minimum of 4 years.

• What should I do if I've had a motoring conviction during the past year?

If you have had a motoring conviction during the year you must give us full details when renewing the policy.

• What should I do if I've modified my car?

A modification is any change to the car from the manufacturer's original specification; for example fitting alloy wheels, body styling kits and sports exhausts. You must tell us about this immediately.

• What should I do if I don't want to renew my policy?

If you decide you don't want to renew your policy and last year you paid in full by either cheque or credit/debit card you do not need to do anything. If we do not receive your payment by your renewal date the policy will lapse and there will be no further cover in place, please call us on 02394 003196 if you require your proof of No Claim Discount.
If you decide you don't want to renew your policy, and you have received your new policy documentation from us because last year you paid by monthly direct debit from your bank account, please call us or write to us:

Renewals Department 
The Connect Centre, 
Kingston Crescent, 

Remember to cancel your direct debit instruction to your bank.

• When will I get my proof of No Claim Discount?

If you choose not to renew your policy we can send you your proof of No Claim Discount when the policy has expired. If you do renew your policy your proof of No Claim Discount is shown on your Schedule of Motor Insurance.


• How do I cancel my policy?

Your right to cancel the policy during the first 14 days

You have the legal right to cancel your policy within 14 days of the day that you receive the policy documents. Just telephone us or write to us:

Customer Services Department 
The Connect Centre, 
Kingston Crescent, 

Asking for the policy to be cancelled. You will be charged for the time you have been on cover plus a fee for the work we have done to arrange the policy.

2. Your right to cancel the policy after the first 14 days

Telephone or write to us asking for the policy to be cancelled. If you have been paying by direct debit instalments, remember to cancel your instruction to your bank.

The cancellation charges are shown on our terms of business documents that are issued with New Business and Renewals Documents.

Upon receipt of the documents you will receive a cancellation breakdown that will be sent to you outlining the amount due and to be paid.

Driving abroad

• Does my policy allow me to drive abroad?

Your certificate of Motor insurance provides the legal minimum insurance requirements when travelling in EU countries.

If you wish to enjoy peace of mind and benefit from the level of cover you enjoy in the UK you must contact us in advance of any journey.

A green card is no longer required to visit EU countries. You are entitled to be covered for up to 90 days in one policy year as long as you notify us in advance of travel. Your Certificate of Motor Insurance must be carried as evidence of insurance and we must be notified of all dates and countries visited.

If you wish to travel to a non-EU country, then you will need to contact our Customer Services Department, as we need to refer this to the relevant Insurer for approval. There will usually be a weekly charge, plus our £20 administration fee. Please note that some Insurers may decline cover outside the EU.

Great Benefits

  • We compare prices from a panel of leading insurers

  • Up to 70% no claims discount

  • UK based call centre

  • 24-hour claims line

  • Courtesy car whilst vehicle is repaired*

  • Free 90 days cover for driving in the EU*

  • Policy upgrades available

* Subject to underwriting terms and acceptability criteria