It’s decidedly colder outside, and some parts of the UK have already seen their first snowfall of the season. Is your home ready for the winter?
Every day, insurers pay out £14.3m to home and business owners to repair properties and replace contents damaged by bad weather such as flooding, storms and burst pipes, according to the Association of British Insurers (ABI).
However, building and contents insurance is not a maintenance contract and you need to make sure that your property is in a good state of repair, the trade association said.
This should help prevent damage being caused and ensure that, if the worst happens, your claim will be as smooth as possible.
The ABI offered some top tips to ensure your property is ready for bad winter weather:
- Know where your stopcock is and make sure it works.
- Make sure your roof is in reasonable repair and there are no broken, loose or dislodged tiles. However, don’t put yourself at risk, and if in doubt get in a professional.
- Check for damp patches or smells as it could be a sign of a more serious issue.
- Check your gutters are clear and that water flows freely through them.
- Check any conservatory or extension for leaks.
- Check your smoke alarm battery.
- Insulate pipes and water tanks. If they are already insulated, check the insulation is in good condition.
Speak to your insurer as soon as possible if you need to claim, and they will be able to advise on next steps. At MasterQuote our claims line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
“Carrying out regular checks around your home or business will not only reduce the likelihood of having to make a claim, but will also ensure any troublesome issues, like a leaky roof, are fixed before they cause major problems,” said Laura Hughes, manager of general insurance at the ABI.
“Ignoring serious issues will only damage your property further and likely cause you further problems later on.”
Home insurance from MasterQuote includes a range of great benefits as standard, as well as optional add-ons such as family legal protection, home emergency cover and key cover.
Get a quote today!